I have the pleasure of writing this weeks Social Security blogs and sharing information on WEP and GPO. WEP (Windfall Elimination Priovision) and GPO (Government Pension Offset) both affect your Social Security. Here are some details:
- The Windfall Elimination Provision reduces benefits for people who qualify for both Social Security and a government pension.
- A worker’s Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) reduction cannot exceed more than one half of his or hers pension.
- The Windfall Elimination Provision doesn’t apply to public workers who have 30 years or more of “substantial earnings” under Social Security.
- The Government Pension Offset provision reduces government employees Social Security benefits by 66% of their government pension.
- For Social Security, survivor benefits paid from another government pension(STRS), will not affect SS benefits paid to your surviving spouse
- Spouses, widows, widowers benefits may be reduced by the Government Pension Offset if you worked outside the SS system, i.e. state employees
WEP and/or GPO affect over 90% of Ohioians. Do you need more information on WEP or GPO? Check out SSA.gov and follow Tom and myself on Twitter at @MISTERSocSec for daily tweets with relevant information about optimizing Social Security benefits.