Too many people go into retirement thinking they understand all there is to know about Social Security.
That rarely is the case. That’s why they turn to you, their trusted financial advisor. The more you learn about Social Security and the more resources you utilize can help these clients make the right decisions at the right times to maximize their Social Security benefits.
Top 10 Reasons Your Clients Need Your Social Security Expertise
- They don’t make a plan or consider all of their options.
- They file at age 62: 50% collect at 62 and 64% consult no one.
- They believe the Social Security Administration will point them in the most advantageous direction. (The SSA discusses only the options the individual brings up.)
- They don’t review their annual statement for accuracy.
- They cannot understand the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) or Government Pension Offset (GPO).
- They fail to have a complete understanding of Medicare.
- They don’t understand that retirement can be a joint lifetime benefit.
- They do not realize how work affects Social Security benefits.
- They fail to consider the tax liability of Social Security benefits.
- They don’t make an appointment to file for benefits.
Your clients need you to fully understand Social Security or to partner with the experts who do. Contact us today to continue your education of the Social Security system or to work with us to bring these services to your clients.