There are many factors to consider before you decide which Social Security benefits strategy is the best for you (and your spouse, if married).
Below you’ll find a list of factors that are necessary to review in order to maximize your benefits for retirement planning.
- Are you a U.S. citizen?
- When do you plan on retiring?
- Are you disabled?
- Are you healthy?
- How is your personal financial condition?
- Is anyone currently receiving benefits?
- Are you single?
- Are you married?
- What’s your age?
- What’s your spouse’s age?
- Is there an income gap?
- Are you eligible for a spousal benefit?
- Are you an ex-spouse?
- Are you an “independently entitled” ex-spouse?
- Are you a widow?
- Do you have children under 19?
- Does the Windfall Elimination Provision apply?
- Does the Government Pension Offset apply?
- If so, when does another government pension begin?
- Can you take advantage of the “restricted application” option?
- Do the new “deeming” rules apply?
Don’t let these questions intimidate you – the more we see of your “big picture” can yield the best possible results. I’m here to help you navigate the complex Social Security system. Contact me today to learn more about how to maximize your Social Security benefits.